I woke up one Fall morning in 2006, and noticed that my wrist hurt. "Oh well," I thought, "Must have just slept on it wrong- it'll be fine tomorrow."
Tomorrow came and it wasn't fine. In fact, over the following week or two it got worse and worse. Soon I could no longer do everyday tasks like picking up my backpack to go to class, dribble a basketball, or do push-ups without pain. I started trying to do everything with my left hand instead and then I noticed my left wrist beginning to hurt as well.
At some point in this process, I became determined that God was going to heal me. I had read in the Bible that God heals, and I decided it was for me. The book of James says that if anyone is sick they should call the elders of the church to pray for them and anoint them with oil that they might be healed, (see James 5:13-16) so I went to an elder in my church and asked him to pray for me. He did break out some oil and pray sincerely for my healing, but I was not healed that day.
God had given me faith for healing, so I was unfazed. I asked my campus director and friends from Cru to pray for my wrist. They obliged, but nothing happened.
A week or so later I was at Cru's annual Denver Christmas Conference (DCC)- a gathering of college students from around a several state region for worship, teaching, connection, and mobilization- I loved DCC! One night after the evening session was over an announcement was made that for anyone interested there would be a Korean style prayer meeting upstairs later that night, I don't remember what time exactly but it was a late night meeting. I was intrigued to find out what Korean style prayer was, so I went.
There was a middle aged Korean woman leading the meeting. Essentially she would announce a topic for prayer, such as the poor in the Denver area, or for the hope of Jesus to reach people in Romania, and then she would say, " 1,2,3...Go!" and everyone would begin to pray out loud at once, often at the top of their lungs. It seemed quite chaotic at first, but then I discovered it was more like organized chaos. Right after she had introduced yet another topic, the thought occurred to me, "Why not ask her to pray for my wrist? She sure seems like a prayer warrior."
So I went up to her and asked her to pray for my wrist. She looked at me, paused, and then said, "Go read Psalm 144:1." So I went and sat down on the floor, opened up my Bible and found the verse. It read,
"Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle;"
Quickly after I read that, I realized that my wrist felt better, and I felt a sudden surge of excitement come over me when I thought perhaps I had been healed. In my excitement, I decided to test it out. I started doing some push-ups to check and see if it would hurt- and it felt totally fine! I was super stoked! Soon everyone was asked to sit down on the carpet of the upstairs ballroom for some closing remarks before the meeting ended. As I got up to leave, I pushed off the floor with my right hand and winced in pain, and I feared I had not been healed after all. However, the next morning I awoke to all the pain being 100% gone- after weeks of the injury getting worse and then hanging on. Thank you Jesus!

Comments
Post a Comment